Wednesday, January 28, 2009

19mm Televue Panoptic eyepiece

19mm Televue Panoptic

If you have never bought any "premium" eyepieces, this is a great one to start with. Sporting a wider true FOV than your average 25 mm Kellner, the 19 mm Panoptic is one of the sharpest eyepieces I have ever used. It has also quickly become one of my favorite eyepieces in my F5 dob. Eye relief is a little tight for eyeglass wearers in my opinion but I am able to use it without my glasses with no problem. The 19 mm is also small although a bit rugged, and fairly light, which encourages more use and less of a balance problem. This eyepiece turns out to be just right in both the 12.5" dob and the 4" Mak for nebula, galaxy, and globular hunting. M13 is amazing thru this eyepiece, resolving stars to the core. Barlow it and your jaw will drop.With a FOV of 68 degrees it perfectally frames the full moon in my F5 scope. It will serve you well if you have an F5 scope, and it has excellent edge sharpness. It is more expensive then a Meade 18mm SWA or a Celestron 19mm Axiom but try those in an f/5 scope and you will never go back.If you have been contemplating the purchase of this eyepiece, I highly recommend it. The 19mm Panoptic gets an A+ for contrast, edge of feild sharpness, and its ability to be barlowed

No comments:

Post a Comment